Thursday, June 21, 2012

Growth and Change: day 6/365

This is a picture from the very first mission trip I ever went on...in 2006! So many things things about this picture that show growth and change. First, the groups for mission trips have gotten much larger! Secondly, this picture was taken in front of our old church....a church that our church family has since OUTGROWN. I mean heck, we are outgrowing the first phase of our new church! Not to mention that just the lives of the people in this photo have changed! Off the top of my head I know a few of these changes: Jay moved with his wife and kids to Louisiana, Jordan has gotten married and moved away from Odessa, Eve and Beth both have little babies, and Erica is married! I am sure there are a lot more changes than just those that are seen....but those are just a few of the major changes that have taken place in the lives of these amazing people that made that first mission trip so memorable. I still remember a lot about that mission trip, it was my first time going far away from home without my family. I had gone to church camp and such before that, but because of our ages being so close...I generally had a family member at camp with me...and besides that, I was only like 45 minutes from home! For this mission trip I was in West Memphis, Arkansas....not just a short drive by the parents had I gotten scared and wanted to go home. I grew a lot that year...in both my faith and my maturity. I left that mission trip and I couldn't wait to go back. I learned how to roof a house, I painted part of the house, and I did yard work. In the process, I got the chance to witness to so many different people on the street and one day had a good conversation with a dad that liked to bring his son down to see us every single day on the work site. They would always come down and talk to the ground crew as we scraped paint or painted or fixed porch rails. They couldn't help, but for five days we had some of the best company EVER! I still think about that guy and that little boy from time to time and pray for them! Funny how some of the simplest gesture, like keeping a bunch of teenagers entertained with jokes and stories, will stick with a person for so long! The picture below here is a picture of the ground crew that day, with this little boy and his daddy! And I put a picture of me with this little guy! He followed me around on site all week! What can I say, I am a baby person!

No comments:

Post a Comment